Monday, April 18, 2011

Steven and Jesus

Steven has been talking a lot about Jesus lately.  He regularly draws pictures on his doodle pad with two stick figures- one much larger than the other (see below).  We, of course, guess that it is one of us with Steven when he asks us who it is.  He replies that, “nooooo, it’s Jesus!” as if it’s obvious by the smiling stick figure.

He surprised me last month by walking up to me at home and saying,“Mommy!!  Jesus is in my heart!”  I was overwhelmed by emotion, and when I could choke out a response, I asked him how he knows that Jesus is in his heart, he said, “because I love Him.”



He is understanding so much at 4.5 years; his little heart is so sensitive and tender.  We have been reading passages leading up to Christ’s death in preparation for Easter.  Last night, we read about the soldiers putting the crown of thorns on his head.  Steven put his hands over his ears and moaned, "why are they doing that; it is hurting him."  (Understand that we do keep age appropriateness in mind and are not sharing all
the bloody details.)  He has known for a while that Jesus died on the cross but he is starting to understand why and that he died for him.  It’s not a general and abstract idea but becoming personal to Steven and that brings
us so much joy!



Steven is such an inquisitive little boy that I am already surprised by the 
depth of the questions that he asks.  I know that I’m going to need
help, lots of help.  Help me, Lord!!  I want our home to be one where
our children can feel free and desire to ask questions and discuss.
Goodness knows that one of their parents even has professional
training in debating.  Ok, and I have been known to have an opinion once
and a while too.  =)  But, I don’t want to quench Steven's inquisitive
flame by not being prepared with an answer or at least an attitude
that encourages it.



When I find myself in unfamiliar territory (especially in the
parenting arena), I usually read a book.  The one that I have chosen
to encourage me in this area is Everyday Talk by John A. Younts.
Charlton found it a while back and it is recommended by Tedd Tripp
who wrote Shepherding a Child‘s Heart, another book that has been very influential 
in our lives.  If anyone wants to read Everyday Talk along with me, please let me
know.  It’s premise is to teach you how to talk freely and naturally
with your child about God.  It should be fun in a painfully insightful
kind of way and I will try to summarize what I am learning along the way.



I'll finish with another Steven story....Steven asked Charlton a few nights ago if there
would be toys in the new earth after Jesus comes back.  He was disappointed
when Charlton said he didn’t know.  And in trying to explain that Steven won’t want to play with toys when he gets older, Charlton asked, “Does Daddy have any toys that he plays with?”  Steven paused for a
few seconds, thinking hard, and said, “yes, your iPhone.”  Totally
busted.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my! Bless his sweet little heart. Love that nephew of mine!

    I WANT TO READ IT WITH YOU!!! I am pretty ridiculous when it comes to plain talk. I feel a little stupid, so I am all about the painfully obvious. Did you order it through Amazon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would, Cheryl! =) Charlton bought it years ago, but I looked on Amazon and it's $10 there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so cute and smart. I agree with him, adults do have their toys. When ever any of the children get into my things, I always tell them to leave my toys alone :)

    Looks like a good book and I would love to join in a discussion if you are planning on somehow doing it online.

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, Kristi! I'll be posting on here time to time, but I'm also checking out a website that Charlton found. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good. I added the book to the order I am about to place on Amazon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wandering here from Cheryl's...(she's my new cyber BFF :)
    Everyday Talk is an absolute FAVORITE of ours.
    I have a post about half way written about the book...love the way Younts helped us move away from compartmentalizing Christianity and "Bible lessons"...and helped bring the focus back to "as you walk along the way"...God's Word in real, everyday life.
    I'm interested in a re-read though...so might have to join you :)

    ReplyDelete